Thursday, October 17, 2013

¡Más!

So it kinda feels like I haven't posted in forever...even though it's only been five days.

But in my little-big life, it seems like so much has happened! (Please don't hold me to that "so much has happened!" comment- most likely this will sound rather boring to you, my lovely reader).

On Sunday, Karly and I baked cookies!! Earlier that week, we had taken a trip to the big store (it's a solid 10x bigger than our neighboorhood Mercadona) and purchased ingredients for American-style chocolate chip cookies. We were more than stoked to have a little taste of home and have fun doing it...

Boy were we wrong.

First of all, we had no baking soda. We read that we could substitute baking powder, but we didn't want to risk anything. So we googled "chocolate chip cookie recipe without baking soda"...and wouldn't cha know, there were a ton of recipes! Since we were jonsing to get baking after our minor set-back, we chose the first recipe.

All was going suprisingly well...until we looked at them after about five minutes in the oven-


I think the caption speaks for itself on this one...

We ended up mashing our two batches (yes, we made two of these awful things) into small pans and put them in the refrigerator in hopes of a brownie-like desert. I have not tasted them. They are still in my refrigerator. My host family makes fun of me for them. This, my friends, is my life. 

Now we have Monday....ugh.

To be honest, I don't really remember anything super special about Monday. It was a school day. I had Spanish class (which is still awful). 

On Tuesday, when I came home from school, Samuel handed me a postcard from the mailbox...it was from my best friend, Chip! Chip went to Germany on exchange last year. He pretty much inspired me to embark on this incredible journey #NoBiggie. 

When I got a closer look at the card, I immediately started cracking up. Here's why:

There's Chip on the left... (with the lovely Marie to the right).

When we stepped into the elevator going up to our floor, I flipped over the postcard to see what was written. Almost immideately, I went from crazy laughter to watery eyes (paired with a huge grin, though). I really do miss everyone back home, and getting a letter from one of my best friends ever saying that they missed me, too, made me miss them even more. 

As I stepped into the house, I noticed a huge box next to the door...with my name on it!! My dad's package finally arrived (long story short- my home-town post office messed up real bad and my package was lost for quite a while). I was so excited! I ran to my room to start tearing into it before lunch time. 


The goods:

  • 3 bags of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
  • 3 boxes of Kraft Mac&Cheese (Monster's Universtity shaped!)
  • 3 bottles of my facewash that they don't sell here
  • 3 small batches of chocolate chip cookies
  • 1 Seventeen Magazine
  • 4 nail polishes
  • 1 pack of razors (for shaving)
  • and 1 card and 2 mystery gifts in pink paper which I'm saving to open on my actual birthday
Best. Box. Ever. 

I love my dad so so so so so so so so so so much! (Thank you so so so so so so much, daddy!)

So yaddah yaddah yaddah school school school...

HUMP DAAAAAYYYY! (if you don't get the reference, google it, trust me)

On Wednesday afternoon, after our Spanish class, Karly and I went to the city center to buy Robin a birthday present (her birthday is October 22, two days after mine!). We wandered around for a while and went into a few shops. I won't divulge what I got her because there is a miniscule chance that she may read this (if you are, hello Robin!). 

She totally isn't reading this.
Jerk.

(jk)

ANYWAY-

Karly also bought me my birthday present! Yay for friends!

After shopping for a little bit, we had a while until Karly had to go to her dance class (she's learning how to flamenco!), so we went into some stores and tried on some clothes that we didn't end up buying. I did buy two headbands because I lost mine like the second week I was here. 

Because her host family had to go out of town, Karly slept at my house last night. We had a crazy slumber party! We stayed up all night, told secrets, made prank calls...

Sike we studied for tests and fell asleep at like 11. #PartyHard

Today, I bribed people at school who I wanted to be my friends with Reese's. They liked them lots and I think I made an almost friend! I'd like to thank Reese's for making friends in foreign countries possible.

Tomorrow (Friday), I'm going to attend a meeting for the volunteers of the Espacio de Joven (the Boys and Girls Club-esque place). I was supposed to go on Tuesday, but my siesta lasted until about half-way through the volunteer session I was supposed to be at. Oh well!

This weekend, I will be celebrating my birthday! I don't know exactly what I'm doing yet, but there will definitely be a blog post all about it. 

Muchas gracias! xo




No comments:

Post a Comment