Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Good, The Bad, and The Sicky

Hola mis amigos! This post will not be as interesting as my recent few posts, but I will try my best to use exciting vocabulary to spice things up.

On Thursday night, my other host brother Daniel came home to visit! He is currently going to university in Barcelona and we were only living together my first two weeks.

When we went to pick him up from the tiny Granada airport, I was instantly flooded with memories- some good, most terrifying.

If you haven't read or have forgotten, the Granada airport was where I arrived at about 11:30 PM the day before I was actually supposed to arrive (again, thank you It's Your World Travel for the Madrid layover). Since there's only maybe 100-150 seats in the terminal, I could easily pick out where I sat that dreadful night...well, until I was kicked out because the airport was closing. My host parents even pointed out the place where I was sitting (outside) when they first saw me.

Anyway, so we picked up Daniel and went back home. As we drove past our apartment gate, we saw a woman standing outside with her bike and bags. My host mom said that it was Olga. Olga rented out the guest room in our house for three days. She is from the United States, too (but apparently doesn't like English because when I said "hi" instead of  "hola," I got a firm talking to...great first impression).

We all got settled and then went to bed. I went to bed quite early (around 11) because I was feeling icky sicky all day. My throat was so sore! Not to mention that I had noticed a bump at the base of my neck/top of my spine (I thought I was developing a hunchback, Samuel told me it was a tumor, but my doctor host parents said it was just constricted muscles whoo!).

Friday at school, I don't really remember. The classes I had were history, english, economics, physical education, math, and philosophy. In PE, we had to do this running test which kind of sucked a lot due to my throat being en fuego. But at the end of class, my teacher told us that he wanted to take our class to a local pool for Friday PE classes! How cool!

That night, I still felt real sick, so I opted out of going out with my host brothers and friends. Instead, I got coffee with Karly at a cozy place in the centro. It was very relaxed and incredibly enjoyable to just have a mellow girls night.

On Saturday, I felt like I was dying. My throat was as sore as ever, my head was throbbing, and my hunchback/tumor/constricted muscle was ever so ouchie. During the daytime, I took a walk in hopes of finding a cheesy-touristy post card for Chip (no luck- you'll have to wait a little longer, love). I also needed to exchange the American money that I have (yes, I forgot to change it before I came) so I could pay the down-payment for the cruise my class is going on in the spring. I have yet to change my moolah, so hopefully my teacher/trip-coordinator will reserve my spot solely with the permission slip (please and thank you, Jorge).

I was planning on staying home that night and drinking more tea and warm milk with honey and cinnamon (my host parents made me so much of that miracle remedy...I think it's what cured me!). My host parents and I had started watching Hotel Rwanda  (I know, not the best movie for relaxing, but it was very interesting and I actually understood more this time watching it in Spanish than I did the first time watching it in English!) and I was cuddled up on the couch ready to louuuungge.

But I guess I forgot that I have fun host brothers who invite me places. Sure enough, Daniel asks me if I want to go out for tapas with them. I was still real sick, but I thought that if I put on enough layers I'd be fine.

Wrong.

I felt like a lump the entire night. Feeling achy all over and unable to stop coughing, I was absolutely miserable. I was so boring, too, and felt like I wasn't even part of the group (which is nobody's fault but my own). It hurt to talk and I had no energy. I know it would've been super fun if I wasn't dying, but it was just very tiring and really really cold. And I wasn't about to be that girl who makes someone take her home because she's not having fun- I knew everyone else was having a blast and I didn't want to ruin it for anyone, so I toughed it out.

The next morning, I went with Marie Sofi and her family to a feria in the pueblo her host family has a summer house in! A feria is a big outdoor fiesta where people buy animals and eat food and have fun. We spent a solid two hours looking at the animals. I'd have to say our favorite was the donkey (hee-haw!). Then, we had delicious food and just hung out and talked.

After the feria, we walked to their summer house. Marie Sofi and I walked around the tiny pueblo for a long time and had a few mini-adventures (like losing her family, climbing a wall to get figs, and meeting a friendly gato). *Marie Sofi took hella pictures- I'll try to get some from her and post them here soon!*

When I got home, I just kind of hung out. Later, my host parents dropped Daniel off at the airport. This weekend was very, very mellow.

Then here we are again- Monday.

I preferred to sleep in, so I celebrated what I like to call Braid Day- aka the day where I don't give a hoot about my appearance and braid my hair rather than washing it and making it look pretty. I love Braid Day.

There was a major upside to Monday, however...Spanish Class.

Yes, I know the only times I've mentioned my Spanish class was when I've said how awful it is.

But this is different! After class, Karly and I decided to talk to our teacher about how we aren't learning jack and are bored near to death. And he totally understood and agreed! So he told us we could try out the intermediate class!!!!!!! I'm so excited! Not only because of the extra oomph of difficulty, but because it's only two days a week rather than four (hallelujah).

I was supposed to go to my first intermediate class today, but it was the same time as an important meeting I had about the trip I'm taking with the Espacio Jovenes this weekend.

A little about the trip:

  • Three days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)
  • Going to nature place (national park, I think??)
  • Costume party (I'm going to be a lumberjack I think because I have a flannel, a beanie, and boots)
  • Canoeing
Honestly, I didn't really understand much in the meeting. Everyone was so excited and they were all yelling and debating and raising their hands for God knows what decision and yeah I was totally lost.

But I had fun and I think I'll make a lot of new friends! I'm extremely excited!!! :) 

I believe that's all for this post- I warned you it wasn't very exciting.

Muchas gracias! xo




No comments:

Post a Comment