Thursday, October 24, 2013

Mi cumpleaños, niños, y la huelga

Hello family, friends, and whoever else is wonderful enough to take the time to read my lil blog. Now that I'm getting busier here in Granada, I don't have as much time to write in my blog as I'd like to. I must admit, however, I really had to work to motivate myself to write this post because I would much rather be sleeping or watching stupid Youtube videos right now.

But, here I am, writing. You're welcome.

So I last posted on Thursday, so I guess I'll begin with Friday.

Despite being my favorite day of the schoolweek, I was totally unable to get myself interested in the lessons. I am always so tired, but Friday was especially exhausting. Not for any particular reason, I just felt like I was going to fall asleep all day (which I ended up doing in my Lengua class...while putting on chapstick).

After school, I participated in my usual activities: eating and sleeping. At about 5:45 (or was it 6:45? I forget) I woke up and got ready to begin volunteering at the Espacio Jovenes in Maracena. I was told that it was only a volunteer meeting, but when I got there, it turned out we were to be putting on a kind of children's fair in a nearby plaza.

It was so much fun!! I only knew two people there, but I met many more! I even met some girls who went to school with Robin..small world!

I was put at the booth where we helped kids make these:


This is not a picture from Friday, but you get the picture (lol). 

It was a blast! I manned the iron (I was surprised they gave me such an important job my first time volunteering, too). There were other booths like bracelet making, nail painting, face painting, games, and even a bouncy slide. It was so fun for me, and I bet it was great for the youngin's as well.

Friday night, I went out with Karly, Marie Sofi, and Josefine. Marie Sofie is from Norway and Josefine is from Denmark. They are some of my bestest friends here.

*NOTE ON FRIENDS* I've made a lot of what I call "almost friends." Almost friends are people that talk to me in school and maybe even invite me to lunch with them (stay tuned for my update on Monday!!), but don't necessarily text me or invite me to hang out after school. It's kinda really sad only being really good friends with exchange students, but having almost friends is better than having not at all friends.

On Friday night, Josefine had to go home early (her host mom is outrageously strict omg). But Karly, Marie Sofi, and I still had a fun time .

On Saturday, I had a laid-back day. I forget exactly what I did, but it wasn't much. That night, I met up with Marie Sofi, Josefine, Karly, and Robin. Again, Josefine needed to go home early (this time Marie Sofi went, too), so Karly, Robin, and I hung out by ourselves. At Robin's place, we had some toast with Nutella before going out. We came back fairly early because the city seemed pretty boring that night. So, we ate some more toast and fell asleep. This was my first time sleeping at someone else's house while in Spain! Yay!

In the morning, I woke up and realized "It's my birthday." 

Thaaaaat's riiiiigggghhht...October 20th was my 17th birthday! 

It's crazy to think that I'm already 17 years old. I know I'm still super young, but 17 years is still a long time!

For breakfast, Robin's host mother made us more toast (bread is life here in Spain) with spreads such as jam, butter (well, margarine), this tomato thing, soft cheese, and of course Nutella. With our steaming hot Cola-Cao and our sweatshirts, we decided to eat on her balcony.


No biggie...oh wait- hello, Alhambra!

Seriously, the view of the world-famous Alhambra from Robin's balcony (as well as kitchen window) is breathtaking. All throughout breakfast we could even see tourists walking and taking pictures! 

I know the Alhambra's cool and all, but I must take a moment to show you my first accomplishment on my 17th birthday-


I mean, wow. We got our Greek yogurt, salt, cheese, jam, AND Nutella all stacked on one lil tub of Tulipan margarine. Look at me go.

After breakfast, Robin walked us to the bus stop and Karly and I went home. On the bus, my host mom texted me asking if 2:30 was a good time for lunch. I had totally forgotten about my birthday lunch and thought it was a birthday dinner (like at 8 rather than 2:30) and was just thinking that Ines wanted me home before 2:30 so I wouldn't be late for lunch.

When I got home, I asked my host parents what time my friends should come over for my birthday. They just kind of looked at me and were like "...didn't you get the text?" So I had to rush and tell my friends it was a lot earlier than we'd all thought. Luckily, everyone was still able to make it.

Except Laura. 

To my small birthday meal, I had invited Karly and Robin as well as Marta and Laura, the twins who's house I had lunch at a few weeks ago. When I went out to open the gate for my friends when I heard the gate buzzer buzz, I only saw Marta. I asked her why Laura wasn't there, but she just said that she didn't want to and some other things...I was thoroughly confused, but it's okay.

So once everyone was there, I opened my presents. To be completely honest, it was one of the most awkward experiences I've ever had. My host parents were kind of just smiling at me and my friends were on the couch kind of doing the same and my host brother Samuel looked really really bored and I felt bad for him to be honest...but, I got through it. My host family is so caring and thoughtful and got me great gifts that I'll be using all the time (like adorable mittens and a cute scarf).

After presents, it was time to eat! We had this delicious spaghetti with pesto along with some chicken. It was perfect! For dessert, we had not only one, but two cakes! My host mom made a cookie-chocolate cake and my host abuela made an orange cake. Both were out of this world. 

Even with it being my birthday, I was still incredibly sleepy after lunch. So my friends and I watched TV and kind of dozed off on the couch. At about 6 (I think), my host dad drove us to the bowling alley! Robin was unable to make it and Marta had to go home early, so it ended up being just Karly and I. 

And I don't think I would've wanted it any other way.

We seriously had so much fun! Neither of us are very good, so it was hilarious to make fun of eachother when we got gutter balls and cheer eachother on when we got strikes (yes, a few strikes were made).

Dat form tho.


Here's the scoreboard right after I scored two strikes in a row. This was a miracle because I don't think I've ever gotten above 40 points in bowling before. I like to think that doing so well on my birthday was an omen for a great year of being 17...Speaking of 17, that was also our lane number. Coincidence? I think not.

So that was my birthday. Mellow as can be, but also a lot of fun.

Also, here's what Karly got me for my birthday.


Yes, those are (knockoff) Crocs with fuzzy lining. And yes, I am wearing them now.

Monday morning- school. Ugh. I honestly don't even remember a lot of Monday except that Karly and I went to our Spanish class and it turned out there wasn't class that day (and there wouldn't be for the rest of the week). So we went to Karly's house and just hung out until it was time for me to go home. Exciting, I know.

I lied- something exciting did happen on Monday. People invited me to lunch?! It was crazy! This girl from my class named Ana invited me to get paninis from a nearby panaderia. It was so exciting like I have friends now? I think I'd still consider them almost friends, but we talked and ate together and I'd say we had fun.

Everyday I am tired. Sometimes I catch myself slipping in class, but I can usually stop myself from full-on dozing during a lecture.

On Tuesday, that was not the case.

During my English class, I fell asleep without shame on my desk. I didn't mean to, I was just so tired and I don't do anything (almost literally) in that class since I already know English.

I also had a math test that day. After struggling and totally not succeeding with the problems, I started to draw on the back of my paper and then ended up falling asleep. It was so easy because the room was silent except for the occasional cough (or sneeze- one of which woke me up quite abruptly). At the end of the test, my teacher came over and asked how I thought I did...I think from the look on my face and the absurd amount of question marks written on my paper, he could tell I wasn't too confident. He patted me on the head and sighed.

The last class of the day- French. Within the first 10 minutes, I was out. I just remember waking up to giggling and my teacher saying "Bonjour Tessa, Bonjour Josefine, Bonjour Marie Sofi." Apparently, all three of us exchange students had fallen asleep! The class was laughing and we were just sleepily trying to understand what was going on. It was a little embarrassing, but pretty funny, too.

After school Tuesday, I began my weekly volunteering job. At 5:45, I went to the Espacio Jovenes to start my "job" of playing with little kids. It was so much fun! They wanted to play games with me and asked me how to say words in English and it was so easy that I didn't even realize a whole hour and a half went by until my host mom was at the door to pick me up.

So on Wednesday I didn't have to go to school. Why? Because students were going on strike. Cool right?!

At around noon, I walked into my kitchen to get some water and saw my host brother and one of his friends eating sandwiches. My host mom asked me if I was going to the manifestacion, or the rally for la huelga (the strike). I told her I didn't know and she told me to go with the two boys scarfing down bocadillos in the kitchen. Sure! Why not?

I texted Karly and grabbed my passport (I'm still not sure why I needed to bring it...Samuel told me I needed a form of identification "just in case"). And we were off!

We met up with some other friends and walked to a park where the demonstration was to start. There were a ton of people!!

And soon enough, we started walking! I don't even really know what words to use to describe this experience. It was confusing at first (I later found out it was really mostly about the school system switching and becoming a lot more expensive). I only understood about two of the chants...which is probably like 6% considering how many there were (and everyone seemed to know them all?).

Another thing that was confusing was when to do what. Sometimes everyone would jump or put their arms in the air or kneel down or run or walk backwards or do a dance. I just stuck to what has gotten me this far in a foreign country- following others.





But despite not being fully aware of what was happening around me, it was really exciting. I think it's so cool for people to see a flaw and stand up to do something about it rather than just waiting for someone else to fix it. I think it's especially cool when those people are young students and the flaw is in the education system. I felt like I was part of something really spectacular being with all these people.

We marched for about two hours, and ended up in front of the ayuntamiento (city council). A few people yelled things from behind megaphones while the rest of sat down to watch and listen. This was the time when the group I was with decided to head home for lunch.

After lunch and siesta, I went back to the centro to meet up with Marie Sofi. We met at the same park we had all gathered in before the manifestacion. We didn't have any plans and none of our other friends could make it to hang out with us, so we walked! We walked throughout the city center and just chatted. Like a lot of my adventures here, it was laid back but totally fun.

I ended up getting some ice cream and Marie Sofi got this pastry and some fresh squeezed orange juice. Food seems to be a common theme for me in Spain life. We even went to a little super market because Marie Sofie hadn't seen any in Spain yet (don't ask me how she hadn't..they're on almost every corner). We bought conditioner for our hair and looked at all the Coca-Cola cans that say "Share a Coke with *insert name here*" and I think the lady at the cash register got mad at us for "messing them up" (which we totally didn't).

After finding our way back to the main street (I admit, we were a little bit lost), we both got on our separate buses home.

Today, I got up and went to school like usual...but when I got there, nobody else from my class was there! I wandered around for a while and then sat on a bench to text my host mom about my situation. Some nice lady came up to me and asked me what I was doing. I told her about my predicament, and she told me that nobody was there because there was another strike that day (for the teachers this time)!

So, I went home. And this is how I've spent the last hour and a half. I have a feeling today is going to be a very  relaxing day.

Muchas gracias! xo


No comments:

Post a Comment