Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Airport Blues

Leaving home was hard. Real hard. 

It doesn't bother me that I'm leaving the town I grew up in, but rather that I'm abandoning the people who are always there for me: my dad and my friends. 

Since I was eight years old, it's basically been solely my dad and I. He has taught me pretty much everything I know about the world. I love him so dearly. 

This drastic change isn't just hard on me- I know it's difficult for my dad as well. He has supported me 110% in all my endeavors and I feel almost guilty leaving him for a year...but not that guilty.

So early this morning, I woke up at an ungodly hour with butterflies whirling around in my tummy. Today is the day. 

I checked that I had everything all packed before putting it in the car and walking to the high school to have one final lunch with my friends. 

         I must admit, I cried...hard. 

I also must add that I did not cry as much as I thought I would (Go me!).

After many see-you-soons and bye-for-nows, my dear old dad picked me up and we were off to the airport. 

Everything was going well with minimal tears...until my dad was told he could not accompany me to the gate. He had to stay outside of the TSA checkpoint and watch his little girl leave through glass walls. It was very, very hard for both of us. 

Now, I am waiting. 

         Alone. 

To be completely honest, I hate this so far. Yes, I am incredibly ecstatic, but this whole airport thing had been filled with crying and loud women talking about how obnoxious her friend's smoking habits are...leaving me with a massive headache. 

To make things better, I decided to read the card my best friend Naomi wrote me...boy was I wrong. 

The stupid card was so friggin sweet I hate it. It just had to be soooo sentimental and friggin heartfelt, didn't it Naomi? So here I am, holding up a stupid Snoopy card crying my eyes out. Thanks, "friend." (Luckily and embarrassingly, a friendly Minnesotan gave me a hanky).



I am very tired already and my first (out of three) planes hasn't even boarded yet. 

I will update again once in London on my layover. 





No comments:

Post a Comment