Monday, September 16, 2013

Mucha Fruta y Mas Amigas

Yesterday morning, I went to to the frutería with my host mother. Her frutería of choice is a small one in the Chana barrio next to our barrio (we live in the Periodista barrio..fitting, right?). 

From our casa to the frutería is about a 10 minute walk, maybe less. 

We passed many fruit vendors selling oranges, watermelons, and the like out of crates and wheelbarrows. My host mom told me she would rather pay more at the frutería because there's a good chance that the street vendors had stolen the fruit. I really do like my host mom a whole awful lot. 

At the frutería, we had to take a number. Soon enough, our number was flashing on the screen above the scales. 

My host mom stepped up and told the woman working how many kilos of what fruit and vegetables she wanted...we got a lot of fresh produce! 

Here's a picture of the frutería:


And it smelled so fresh, too! 

My host mom told me what all the different fruits and veggies were called in Español. I really like when people tell me what things are called before I even ask. 

Then, we had to walk about 3 minutes to my host mom's mother's apartments because my host mom needed to get some papers. The house was vacant when we arrived (I think my host mom said her mother was at the beach? I'm not sure). 

While she sorted through papers, I was given the task to water the plants. 

On the walk home, my host mom needed to stop at the bank. She told me to walk home alone with the big cart full of produce. I was nervous because 

1) I didn't exactly know where I was and 

2) that cart is difficult to push!

But I made it home without getting lost and with all the fruit and vegetables safe and sound. I even opened the door on my first try! (I had previously had a lot of trouble unlocking mi puerta). 

Later, despues comida, I went to the pool with Karly. We just tanned and chatted for about an hour. It was relaxing and incredibly enjoyable. 

When I got back, my host mom told me that Amanda wanted to hang out with me! Amanda is best friends with Monica, my host family's daughter who is on exchange in Florida. I had met Amanda once before and she is in the same grade as me. 

So my host father drove me to Maracena, the small town outside of Granada (it's basically a part of Granada). He drove me because I didn't know the bus system well enough...but I do now!

When I arrived in Maracena, I walked with Amanda to her friend Inma's house. 

Now, here's the catch- Amanda and Inma speak almost zero English. 

Another catch- I could actually communicate with them?!

We walked around Maracena about 6 times (yes, it's that small) and talked. I actually talked!! In Spanish!! 

I had a blast! For the last half of us hanging out, we just sat on a bench and talked and joked and laughed. 

These past few days, I've began to feel more at home in Granada. I now feel like I'm not totally just tagging along. Hooray for inclusion!

(**and when I say "inclusion," it's not like people weren't including me before, it's that I'm including myself in conversations)

At about 10 or 11 (I forget) my host dad picked me up. My host mom made me a ham and cheese sandwich for dinner and we talked about pasteles and what I did with Amanda and Inma and that there were guys coming to polish the floors in the morning. I really, really enjoy speaking in Spanish to people. 

Tomorrow, I leave at 10 AM with Karly and Robin to our Rotary conference in Madrid. 

To prepare for the 5+ hour bus ride, I need to buy some snacks and maybe a book today (there is a librería near my house). 

As of now, though, I have no plans for today except putting everything that's on my bedroom floor onto my bed so the floor polishing guys can polish my floor. 


(**NOTE: this is a late post- the activities in this post did not happen "last night". why am I even including this disclaimer? I don't know, but I am.)

Muchas gracias! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment