Thursday, September 5, 2013

¡Estoy en Granada!

The reason this post isn't titled "Estoy en España" is because I've been in Spain for a while...in the Madrid airport. 

When I arrived at the London Heathrow airport late, my hour and a half layover turned into about 20 minutes. 

*Insert anxiety here*

I actually wrote a post about my two first flights on my way from London to Madrid, but guess which airport doesn't have wi-fi? 

Yes, it's Madrid. 

After taking a look at the departures screen, I saw that my flight's check-in desk was "Self Check-In". 

Barely successful with that endeavor, I lugged my life-in-a-bag around looking for where to put my self-checked checked bag (I eventually found it, don't worry).

Next stop: security!!

Next surprise: my ticket is for tomorrow's flight!!

Here is where I'd like to give a shoutout to IYWT (my travel agency)- Thank you for booking me a TWENTY-FOUR HOUR LAYOVER IN MADRID!

I was then sent to the customer help desk where a nice man changed my ticket because I was a minor/youth exchange student and such (I didn't completely understand his reasoning, but a three hour layover sure beats a 24 hour one).

Then came security check round #2. 

Success!

According to the departures screen, I had to go to gate "K". 

The departures screen is usually very helpful, but not when there are close to 20 "K" gates. 

(I found out I had to wait until my departure time was closer before I could know what gate to go to.)

In the mean time before boarding, I bought myself a bocadillo (a sandwich on a tiny baguette) and a bottle of sparkling water. 

Finally, I got to board my flight to Granada!! Hooray!

All went well and I arrived in Granada at about 11:00 PM. 

Remember that crazy 24-hour layover I avoided? My host family did, too...but they didn't know about the avoiding it part. 

At the airport (where they also do not have wi-fi) the nice man at the rental car booth let me use the phone to call my host parents (who were very surprised). 

After getting kicked out of the airport because it was closing time, my host family picked me up!

They are da best. Seriously. 

I mean, I don't know them all very well yet, but you don't need to be around them very long to know how great they are (especially when they pick you up at the airport at 11:00 at night on a whim).

The house is very beautiful and comfortable. It is an apartment on the top floor and it is perfect. The view from the balcony is especially lovely. 


So far, I have:

•taken a shower (best. feeling. ever.)
•slept
•woke up (earlier than I thought I would!)
•had a banana y zumo (juice)
•talked to my daddy on the phone (yay!)
•met some people (cool girls, but I couldn't understand what they were saying and I can't remember their names for the life of me)
•ate a seriously delicious lunch of chicken, carrots, and potatoes (I found out it isn't really "lunch".. just comida)
•got an extended tour of the bathroom

Now, I am taking a siesta. 

Muchas gracias, estoy muy feliz!

(P.S. I will post the entry about my first two flights after this post.)



No comments:

Post a Comment