Sunday, September 8, 2013

Rain in Spain

Last night, as we were walking home from hanging out with muchos amigos, I felt my first few Spanish raindrops. 

This may not sound very interesting or exciting, but to me, it very much was. 

At about 10 that night, I left the house with my host brothers, Daniel y Samuel, to go to a party. 

Now it's not really a party, but it's a big get-together that happens very often in this big open area that looks kinda like a parking lot (but isn't). 

The reason people from all over Granada gather here? It's legal to drink outdoors here.The event and location have names, but I forget (a common theme tonight, forgetting names).

On the way to this semi-fiesta, we met up with some friends (some of which I had met earlier, some were new) and took the bus to some other bus stop. 

From the bus stop to the parking lot-looking place is about 15 minutes. On the way I had actual conversations! I felt like I was actually getting my point across and understanding what my new amigos had to say as well (for example, I found out two of the girls are obsessed with junk food..they were astonished when I told them I wasn't a McDonald's fan).

Right before we got there, we all stopped at a small liquor store to buy some cervezas. 

(Dad and other worried adults: don't fret, I was told countless times by my host brothers not to feel pressured to do anything... I split an Alhambra with a very nice girl who ended up introducing me to just about everyone.)

Once there, it was unlike anything I'd ever experienced. Everyone was at least somewhat dressed up (I felt out of place because I was wearing the same outfit I put on when I got out of the shower that morning..everyone else had changed into fancier clothing). 

Now, American parties have the tendency to get out of hand, sometimes ending up with a 911 call (whether by an injured party-goer or an angry neighbor). Here, the idea is NOT to get as wasted as you can. Everyone is very mellow and is there to see friends. 

The girl who I split the cerveza with took me around to practically everyone and told them that I was Tessa and I was American. 

Actually, she didn't say that. She, as well as everyone else, said I was "Tay-sah".

I'm not upset or anything that they pronounce my name differently than they do in the US, I actually feel more like the others. If they said my name with an American accent, it would sound even more out of place than it already does. 

Anyway, I had tons of fun. 

At about 12, my host brothers began to ask me "Estas cansada?" "Are you tired?" And I wasn't! So I endured their frequent questioning for about three and a half more hours until it was time to go home (by then, I was actually sleepy).

Since the buses at night don't come around very often, we walked home instead of waiting for a ride. 

I enjoyed the walk home very much, especially when my first few Spanish raindrops plopped on my forehead. 

I talked a lot more with some of the people I had just met and I had fun. 

We got home at 4 AM...crazy for America, the norm in Granada. 

This morning, I woke up at 11:30 and helped my host mom fold the laundry. 

The rest of my day has consisted of some comida y rest. Lots of rest. 

Tonight, I will be attending a free music festival and I am very excited both to see live music and to get a taste of what Spain listens to. 

(The concert was very fun, I felt almost at home.)

Muchas gracias xo

No comments:

Post a Comment