Sunday, September 29, 2013

Day Trippin' (part one)

A common question I receive at school when attempting small-talk is "What did you do this weekend?"

Normally, I respond with "I went out with friends and just kinda hung out."

Tomorrow, I will be able to say I took not only one, but two road trips!

But before I sat in a car for hours at a time, I had a little night out with Karly. It was pretty much the same as before (go to the city center, get food, get ice cream, go to botellon), but this time we didn't get lost! It feels really really good to actually know where I am. At the botellon, however, it was raining and there weren't many people, so it was kind of not very fun at all.

Karly spent the night at my house that night and in the morning we got ready for our adventure...

To Sevilla!!

My host mom had a meeting in Sevilla, so it was the perfect opportunity to explore Andalucia's capital city with my host dad, Karly, and Robin.

After we picked up Robin and my host mom's coworker who was also going to the meeting, we hit the road.

The drive was about 2-3 hours long (ugh), but totally worth it.

We dropped off my host mom and her coworker at their meeting and then drove into the city center.

First stop: churros con chocolate.

Now we'd all already had breakfast, but like, hey, we're in Spain- why not have a second, more unhealthy breakfast?

No reason at all, my friends.

The cafe we went to unfortunately did not have chocolate to accompany our churros, so we ended up with cafe con leche instead.

The before:

And the after:


Lemme tell you something- yum.

This fried dough covered in sugar creation will knock your socks off. You've probably had churros at the fair or Disneyland or something, but those are no competition for traditional Spanish churros. Seriously. Sorry America, Spain does churros better. Way better.

After stuffing ourselves with caffeine and sugar, we took a walk to explore the beautiful city of Sevilla. We saw the cathedral (the biggest in Andalucia):


And of course posed in front of the cathedral:


We saw these horse-drawn carriages everywhere! I guess they're like the Spanish equivalent of gondolas in Venice.




All the while, my host dad was telling us history of Sevilla. It was super interesting...I wish I remembered it all! After walking around for a while, we went solo into the apparently famous shopping street(s). Where we came upon this...churros con chocolate!


And of course, since we hadn't gotten the full experience the first time due to the lack of chocolate, we just had to order them!

The before, round two:



And the after:


And not a single regret.

So we walked some more. And some more. And some more. Finally, it was time to meet back up with my host dad...we had tickets to see the old Muslim palace!

I couldn't even begin to explain the beauty and intricacy of the palace, so I'll just give you a few pictures:






Now keep in mind that I'm kind of a crappy photographer and that these pictures DO NOT do this place justice in the slightest.

But like...wow. This palace is crazy beautiful and intricate- and people actually lived here once?! Like what!

To make up for that last terribly written blurb trying to describe how rad this palace is, I will give you a few more mediocre pictures of the palace garden,which was equally beautiful.





So beautiful! (Lame word, I know...but give me a break- it's been a long weekend).

Not much happened post-palace. We got some lunch (which we totally didn't need because of the double churro-ing), picked up my host mom and her coworker from their meeting, and drove home. We passed the city where the Pionono was born (the pionono is a type of pastry originally made for a pope!). And we saw some flamingos.

Yes, you read that correctly. Flamingos.

These guys fly in from Africa and chill out at this lagoon. Right now there aren't many there, but still- flamingos!



Perfect for our Flamingo Domingos (keep an eye out for an upcoming #FlamingoDomingo on instagram).

So that was our Saturday!

Muchas Gracias! xo

P.S. "Day Trippin' (part two)" will be all about the second half of my weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment